From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:19:24 -0600
On Monday, January 17, 2005, at 06:04 PM, LACTNET automatic digest
system wrote:

> My questions are:  What can we expect from not having latched at all
> for the
> first 5 days?

I have just finished working with a mom like this, who first nursed
around 7 days pp.  She pumped q3hrs for a couple week and babe would
occasionally nurse, with a shield.  By 5 or 6 weeks, they stopped using
formula,  maybe another week before she was fully breastfeeding, and now
at ten weeks the shield is not needed.  This was a mom with big, flat,
non-elastic nipples and a baby with a receding chin, and they still
managed it.  So I'm betting that your mom will be all set within a
matter of a couple weeks.

YMMV, but in my experience five days is very overcome-able.
Congratulations to both of you :)

Lynn
Kirksville, MO