From:
"<Lisa C. Thomas>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 16:01:46 -0400
Laurie, I totally "feel your pain"! I work in public health in rural West
Tennessee just a little bit north of where I think you now are located.  I
often go home after a long, trying day and tell my dh that I really
haven't got a clue about what different approach  to take to encourage our
WIC prenatals to even consider breastfeeding much less continue feeding
their new babes beyond the first week or two.  We have used "Loving
Support" counseling techniques for a few years now.  I've been in
breastfeeding promotion for 12 years and the last 2 or 3 have been the
least productive and most discouraging in terms of moms just not being
very interested.  Forgive my negativity but what are others seeing in your
locations?

Lisa C. Thomas, BS, IBCLC, RLC