From:
Marilyn Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:54:12 -0400
Nikki, In response to your comment,
"I learned that a fussy baby who gets better on formula may be
reacting to something in the mother's diet. And it isn't dairy. It could be
lot of other things. Seems like the baby that gets "better" on formula is a
marker for intolerance of other foods."
This may well be true, but I have found that some moms call for help with
their
fussy baby and tell me that they would like to give their baby a bottle of
formula. I suggest that perhaps instead they could give a bottle of
breastmilk to see if it helps any, and it usually does. This tells me that
the baby wasn't getting a good 'mix' of the foremilk /hindmilk at the
breast. The baby can usually be coached into feeding better and longer when
the first milk is expressed and the letdown has become less forceful.
To me it is worth a try because the mom may use formula, see results and
quit breastfeeding altogether.
Marilyn