From:
Karen Foard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 14:24:31 -0500
Dear Lactnet Friends,

Over the year plus I've been subscribed to Lactnet, I've been not only
impressed with the amount of wisdom and common sense that you all share so
willingly, but also a sense of that what we do is based on a basic love for
people--not just the little wee ones that are our futures, but also for the
others who will be the future's nurturers.  I've seen how you have reached
out with encouragement to each other, to me also, as we experience some
down days in our work, and shout the "Hoorays" for each other when we have
done well.

Because of your compassion, I ask a favor (not specifically lactation
related...)  We just spent Easter weekend with my mom and her husband.  My
mom had breast cancer 7 years ago, and this past September she was found to
have multiple metastatic lesions to her brain, and most recently to her
spinal column.  She is doing fairly well right now but the radiation does
not seem to be working anymore and  it has been recommended that she
contact hospice so as to be ready.....

Anyway, one of her comments as she described her typical day these days, is
how she gets her brain and fingers going by logging on and checking her
mail every morning, but "9 times out of 10 there is no mail" (besides what
is from us).  I was wondering if some of you could put her on your list of
things to do, not all at once, but pick a date sometime over the next 2-4
months to send a hello greeting or a prayer or a neat quote or a funny joke
or an "I don't know you but I was thinking of you" kind of message to her.
She is the kind of person who it would make her day. Maybe some of you have
already had this experience and have info to share with me or her husband
or her.

She is originally from Canada, was a military wife with my dad, she is 59
years old (July 2, 1937), celebrates her 20th anniversary with her husband
today, is retired from real estate sales, lives in Virginia (5 hours away).
Her name is Barbara, and her email address is [log in to unmask]  It would
be really nice of you all, and very helpful to me.

My apologies to you for this non-lactation post.

Sincerely, Karen Foard, IBCLC, in State College , PA