From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:26:29 -0500
Thank you to all who are expressing their opinions re: issues of interest on
Lactnet, such as suctioning, medical procedures, and engorgement therapy.  I
applaud your ability to keep things respectful and polite, while still
driving home your point, whatever that may be.  That is what makes Lactnet a
*great* place to be.  We have, for the past several years, been a lively
group, and in general, are always able to debate points with interest and
attention, without the usual flaming that occurs. If people have differing
viewpoints, please feel free to express them here as long as they adhere to
the list rules. So far, so good.

And, just as an anecdote, several years ago, I had a conversation with
Kittie Franz, and Ina May Gaskin, as they were co speakers at a conference I
had helped to plan. Ina May was speaking to Kittie.  Kittie asked her what
they did at the Farm, after births, when babies didn't latch on.  Ina May,
midwife to thousands of  unmedicalized births, turned to Kittie and said,
"What do you mean, not latch on?"   Kittie, whom I greatly respect, looked
puzzled. She said something like, "You know, when the baby has difficulty
latching after birth, won't suck, etc."

Ina May turned to her and simply said. "What do you ***mean***, not
latch???? It's happened maybe once or twice  in all my time as a midwife."
She was astounded, as was I.

I stood there with my mouth open, amazed.

Point made.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
Williston, Vermont, where temperatures are in the single digits....
mailto:[log in to unmask]
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html