From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:39:21 -0400
Regarding Barbara Ash's letter...

I worked closely with JoAnne Scott from 1982-1985 developing what became
IBLCE. I researched credential processes, wrote IBLCE's first application to
NOCA, wrote ILCA's first bylaws, and researched accreditation processes for
educational programs. Here are my thoughts, including 20 years' hindsight:

Most legitimate professions have three fundamental pillars: individual
competence assessment (an objective examination), educational preparation
(usually through an accredited school or course), and one or more
professional associations advocating for the practitioners.

Most older professions developed their college degree programs first, then
created objective criterion-referenced exams. The LC profession followed the
lesser-used progression of setting its competency standards first, then
filling in behind the exam with educational programs. We're not the only
profession that developed their exam before their standardized coursework.

IBLCE is the competency-assessment organization for LCs. IBLCE's
certification by NOCA prohibits it from regulating the educational pathways,
because that system creates a "closed loop." When the same entity rates
education and individual competence, there is no good way for new
information gets into the mix. In most licensed professions, the educational
prerequisites for taking the exam include graduation from an accredited
college program.

ILCA is the main professional association. It's ILCA's role to advocate for
LCs and provide a forum for LCs to discuss their mutual issues. IBLCE and
other credentialing bodies are required by NOCA to be administratively (and
preferably) corporately independent from any and all professional
associations.

ILEAC is the newly-formed body that accredits educational programs. However,
there are only a few college courses in lactation, and I'm aware of only one
baccalaureate degree program. An educational-program accrediting body must
be independent from the testing body, but can be a branch of a professional
association. Therefore ILEAC could be a subsidiary of ILCA, but not of
IBLCE.

If anyone wishes to write to or influence any or all of these organizations,
be sure to clarify "which organization does what" so your efforts have a
chance of actually making positive changes. And please don't merely
complain. If you have a better suggestion, please be specific when you
present your ideas. I've served on the boards of two of these organizations,
and most of the issues raised in recent posts have surfaced previously, and
sometimes repeatedly. Most Board members are truly trying to do a really
good job and are almost certainly open to honest dialogue about these
issues.

Disclaimer: I do not serve on the Board of any of the above listed
associations at the present time.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre Ltd
6540 Cedarview Ct, Dayton OH 45459
937-438-9458 / fax 937-438-3229
www.BFLRC.com