From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:09:08 EST
Dear Friends:

Thank you, Susan for the history of how the 6-month transition time was
identified.

Your gum story reminds me of my last baby. (The exclusively breastfed one
that went beserk at a chicken barbecue until I finally chewed some up and gave
it to her and only then did she stopped fussing and fuming.)

This same baby came with me to childbirth classes for 5 years. I taught a
lot, about 350 classes a year, give or take a few. When this baby was a toddler,
 she would stroll around the room while I taught. She was quiet and cute and
friendly, and would come back to nurse when she needed.  (I wonder if this
helped any pregnant women in the classes.) I was sometimes apprehensive, trying
 to straddle my two worlds (the mothering world and the employment for pay
world)  and wanted her to be quiet. She would walk under the tables and pull off
gum  wads and eat them....and grin at me.

I was too chicken to stop the class and purge her mouth. I was worried that
I would loose my job if my baby was perceived as "disruptive". I didn't ever
put  her in daycare; I had no family or friends to help with childcare and
really  didn't want to leave my nursling with anyone.

She is now, at nearly 18, taller than I and learning 5 instruments and
voice. I'd like to think it was the biologically appropriate length of nursing
(thank you for that reminder Cathy Watson Genna at the LC in private practice
conference yesterday) rather than the gum wads!

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
craniosacral  therapy practitioner
_www.myspace.com/adonicalee

_ (http://www.myspace.com/adonicaleewelcome)

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)