From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:03:32 -0400
I agree with Sharon's vision of the ibclc credential. I believe it will
eventually come via a university program. I'll admit I come from a
mainstream medical education (nursing). I think that the vast majority of
moms and babies do not need to see an ibclc and have mother to mother
support there for them. I don't think that an ibclc needs to see all bf moms
in the hospital. If the hospital were baby friendly with mother to mother
support in place, the whole culture and milieu would be conducive to bf.
Therefore, the ibclc is there for the specialized (read difficult,
challenging, and multifaceted) bf problems. This is not to say that LLLL's
or other lay counselors cannot handle difficult, challenging situations. But
rather, that is not the main thing that they do. The ibclc could also
support normal bf, but this would not be the main thing they do. I don't
think that being "specialized" in breastfeeding means that the LC loses
sight of the counseling aspect of bf or the normalcy of bf. To the contrary,
these would be an integral part of the LC's training. And of course to know
about bf difficulties, the LC would have to have a great foundation in what
is truly normal. I posted once that I thought the title should be something
like Lactation Therapist or LT. Like an OT or PT who certainly knows,
supports, and promotes normal functioning but mostly works with clients who
are having problems or pathology.
Respectfully,
Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA