From:
Katherine Catone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 06:08:35 -0700
I was the one who wrote the 'original' post, and I have to admit I wrote
it at way past my normal bedtime, so things were not as well thought-out
or phrased as I normally would.

I did not mean to exclude others as breatfeeding experts, and apologize
to anyone who might have been offended.

It's true, it is not only IBCLC's who know about breastfeeding, some
MD's, RN's, PA's, RD's, Pharmacists,  or La Leche League Leaders could
have done a better job than the interviewer mentioned.

However, out of the above list, only IBCLC's and La Leche League Leaders
could be counted on to be knowledgeable about breastfeeding.  Those
credentials are set apart and easily recognized as lactation &
breastfeeding experts.  Otherwise, a licensed medical professional does
not necessarily a breastfeeding expert make.

While I know many licensed medical professionals who have made the effort
to go the extra distance to educate themselves, including many on
Lactnet, as well as many who are childbirth instructors,teachers, peer
counselors, homeopathic and herbal practioners, and many others, it
is the IBCLC credential that guarantees at least a minimum amount of
knowledge, and commitment to breastfeeding.

I have friends who are RN's, RD's, etc who have made a point of sitting
for the IBLCE, because they wanted it recognized that they were committed
to lactation, had the knowledge base, etc.  On top of their primary
professional credential.

It was not my intention to start a debate here on Lactnet, it is all of
us working together, that will turn the tide.  Hopefully, we are past the
'I have met the enemy and he is us' mentality.  There is a role for all
of us in breastfeeding support.  There are many, many cracks in the dam,
and we need lots of fingers to plug the holes, and we need others who can
be working on how to replace the damaged dam, etc, etc. Let each of us do
our part, wherever we are, with whatever we have . . .

Katherine Catone, IBCLC