From:
Brian Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 1995 13:38:54 GMT
Hi Lactnetters.

First of all, I don't know what all the junk was at the end of my request for
Breastffeeding support research..  e-mail wen psychotic I guess....

Anyways, I have a request and am hoping someone out there can help.

I received a call from a mom with a 4 week old adopted baby.  She wants to
nurse and went to a local Breastfeeding Clinic and was put on 'hormone'
therapy to help induce lactation.  One 50mg injection of depo provera,
followed by 10 mg 4x day of domperidone.

She has been using the SnS supplementor, her baby is happily coming to the
breast, and after one month she is producing some drops of milk.

However, the clinic told her to discontinue the domperidone as she won't
produce any more milk at this point.

This doesn't make sense to me.....I have never heard of depo provera being
used to induce lactation, and can't find any research to support this.  Has
anyone heard of this before???  Also, what are other LC's views on the use of
domperidone.  I have to admit I am not comfortable with this....have there
been any long-term studies on its use....parlodel used to be considered a
'safe' drug for helping bf moms....what have we learned from that experience?

Thanks for your input, I'll look forward to your replys, but for now I am off
to teach class three of my breastfeeding peer counselling course.  This is the
greatest group of 9 women.  All strong and dedicated and excited about
breastfeeding.  What a treat!

Mary-Anne Taylor,IBCLC
North Vancouver, British Columbia
CANADA