From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:01:11 EDT
Dear Colleagues,

In exasperation I post what a mom's pediatrician recently told her.  She was
informed that feeding both breastmilk and formula causes stooling
difficulties.  Mom was concerned about baby's stooling as she thought he might be
constipated due to straining and thicker stool. (Her baby is on mostly formula and
small amount comparitively, breastmilk thru expression and breastfeeding--this
due to glandular insufficiency, etc)

Pediatrician's reply was  that the combination of breastmilk and formula was
the hardest for babies to digest.  This one's new to me, any comments?  It
doesn't make any sense to me especially since I've heard how babies who have GI
problems or disease often benefit from 2-3 oz of breastmilk daily.

Then again this doctor also told this mom whose baby was tongue tied that he
didn't believe tongue tie interferred with breastfeeding but might make it
hard to french kiss later on.  (mom had frenotomy despite this opinion)

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC