From:
Jane Khondker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 20:28:52 EST
Dear Lactnetters, you probably know LLL has an e-mail help form that we
Leaders on-line can choose to participate in, answering questions for
anyone who writes in.  I received a question by a mother who has
pneumonia.  What she wrote back, in response to my request for further
information is as follows:

 >   The medication is new. Levaquin
>500mg, is levofloxcin.  I went directly to Nathaniel's pediatrician- who
>was equally skeptical of me stopping.  After checking it out, He agreed
>that it would not be good to nurse.  It would inhibit bone and tissue
>growth.
>    At this point, I have until Sunday to improve.  If not, I will be
>admitted to the hospital.  I am a single parent so my doctor let me
>begin as an out patient. Nathaniel has definitely been exposed. He had
>it first! The first night of my Easter break (I'm a fourth grade
>teacher) he had a temperature of 104.4.  The next day he was diagnosed.
>It's just the medication preventing the nursing at this point.  I'm
>allergic to tons of antibiotics so my doctor had little choice.

My question - does anyone have information on levofloxcin?  I really feel sorry
for her because she said she nurses at night and doesn't know how she's
going to put her son off when he's so accustomed to night nursing.  I gave
some suggestions for dealing with it, but hoped someone might have more
information
on levofloxcin. TIA (I have already scanned the archives but got no match)

Jane Khondker
LLL Leader
Potsdam NY