From:
Rachel Bittker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 15:44:16 -0700
I used the shield exclusively for about 2.5 months and didn't get son
off it totally until about 7.5 months.  I like your ideas of keeping it
low key and not pressuring her.

My opinion is that a person could definitely nurse a baby until weaning
with a shield.  It is possible, but a bit of a hassle.  I got some
negative vibes about using the shield at a LLL meeting, which was
unfortunate.  As if it wasn't really nursing!  Please support her.  She
is nursing that baby, despite difficulties!

Anyway, if the hassle is bothering mom (it bothered me), then I like
your ideas of trying when baby is sleepy.  What finally got my son to
stop being mad at the shield's removal and to try nursing without it was
to *nurse him while walking*.  At the time, for me it meant strapping on
My Breast Friend and walking up and down the hall.  The swaying
sensation was soothing to him so he calmed down enough to latch.  Once
he got the idea during that one feeding, it was much less of an effort.
I would still use the shield initially or when I was more engorged, but
that decreased with time.

Good luck.

Rachel Bittker, MD
Mother of 15 month old nursing son