Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:37:33 -0800
It's been a while since I have contributed, and things have been going along in their usual, busy fashion.  I work in a small (600births/year) hospital where I have slowly worked up to 32 hr/week, an IBCLC and RN.  I do inpts, outpts, phone follow-up, pump rentals and some boutique business.  I should say that we are Baby Friendly, but our manager that orchestrated it has moved on, and we have a new manager.  Right away my hours were cut back to 20 hr/week.  I am finding that I can't spread myself out thinly enough to be there for every Mother that gives birth and needs help or every outpt that calls for help.  I do have one staff nurse who gives one day per two weeks to do Spanish speaking follow-up and teaching.  We have no coverage for week-ends now, and that brings me to my question:  what do I do....clock out and continue to work off the clock in order to complete my workday, also on week-ends, or...stop working after 20 hours and not give equal access, knowing that sooner or later some disappointed Mom, or something worse will happen and be reported, and somehow that will be my fault?  I should add that our lactation initiation rates have been in the 90%-98% range for several years now, and I am so jealous to guard that, but feel it will slip away.  When I expressed that to my manager, I got no reply. I feel ignored, unwanted, unappreciated, and sooooo frustrated.  My irritable bowel is acting up again, first time in years.  What can I do?  Thanks for any wise advice you all can give.