From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 21:04:01 EDT
Hello- I haven't posted in awhile, but I have enjoyed reading the
material shared on lactnet.  I will reintroduce myself.  I am an RN and
LC.  I work in a hospital setting and I am the coordinator of the milk
bank and breast feeding center of the hospital that I work for.
I received a call today from a WIC representative who is working with a
mother who has an extremely fussy baby.  The pedi has the mother crushing
up a lactaid and giving it in pears.  He believes this 10 week old infant
is lactose intolerant and this is his prescription.  The infant has now
been vomiting and the mother is afraid to stop giving the lactaid because
she believes the pedi.  The infant was tried on a soy based formula, but
is now back to breast feeding after the concoction of lactaid and pears.
Please advise.
Darlene Breed RN BSN IBCLC