From:
Moira McCaul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 21:42:49 +1030
Dear all, I am seeing a woman with a fifteen week old baby. Problems with attachment from the beginning, nipple shields were started in hospital and have been used exclusively from about six weeks. I first saw them about four weeks ago, terrible problems with thrush and severe breast pain which we have now eradicated. Babe attaches well with shield in place, the woman's supply is good, but the babies weight gain has dropped off in the last few weeks. Baby doesn't seem to want to attach at all without the shield in place. (1) what are some good stategies to encourage the baby to attach well without the shield? (2) Is it inevidable that supply will drop if they continue to use the shield? The mother is somewhat depressed and is dispairing of this breastfeeding business ever going smoothly for them. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Moira McCaul (GP and LC)