From:
CarouselKR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:43:30 EDT
Hi all--

Just had a meeting with the formula rep at the hospital where I am doing my
clinical for grad school. I was asked by my preceptor to attend his
inservice,with lunch, but told her that I, as an IBCLC and breastffeding
advocate, do not take freebies from formula companies. So I talked to him
afterwards.

His opinion is that health professionals should recommend his formula, as they
are the only company that doesn't advertise directly to consumers. As a matter
of fact, that is why his company has the market at this particular hospital.
His not-so-veiled threat was that if the health professionals that he markets
don't recommend his brand, the company will have to switch to direct consumer
ads as well. So much for doing the "right thing" because it is morally right
to do so, huh?

And what about his violation of the code because he is bringing lunch to those
who attend his meetings--the nursing staff were thrilled with the italian
food, as well as with the "great" free pens he handed out!!! We fight an
uphill battle here, no matter what company it is and how they market. I was
more concerned about using this company, with their "new and improved" product
that eliminates constipation (duh! --"our" product has been doing that for
centuries), because they market in more hidden ways...I like the enemy to be
out in the open.

I told him that I consider formula to be an rx item--I tell clients to ask
their pediatrician to prescribe it if it is necessary, but that the doc will
probably prescribe whichever brand that the rep was in his office for most
recently (implying that there is little difference in any of them). I tell my
clients that I do not wish to be responsible for the medical risks to their
infant of recommending a formula, and work with them on how to avoid its use
if possible.

I guess we all have to continue to market our product as the best, but it is
hard to compete with such tactics! Good luck to all of us.

Kathy IBCLC RNC in NJ who tells clients that unless the formula companies hire
a person to follow each mom around to figure out what she has been exposed to,
oa daily basis, so that they can put those specific immune factors into their
product, that formula will NEVER be as good as breastmilk!!