From:
Pia Ruohotie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:29:37 +0200
Hello all!

It has been long since my last posting and I am behind posts, too. But this
topic interests me because I am working now with urological patients (and
do breastfeeding counselling on my own time).

Margaret:
>I wondered about this too, but the one study under discussion did
>correct for maternal age and parity.  So theoretically it should be
>breastfeeding alone, not confounded by age and/or parity, that is
>being considered as a factor for incontinence.

I have not yet read the original post about this subject so I am sorry, if
this has been mentioned before. Did the researchers speculate any reason
for the combination of breastfeeding and incontinence? How long did they
followed the patients? I am wondering that maybe the connection here is
between the lactation amenorrhea and incontinence. If an older woman has
stress incontinence, one treatment option is estrogen vagitories. If a
younger woman is breastfeeding and her menses are absent for months to
years, her mucous membranes may be at the same condition as older women
have after menopause. But I can not imagine that breastfeeding could affect
incontinence after the menses have returned.

My 2 cents,
Pia Ruohotie, RN and brestfeeding counsellor, mother-to-mother bf support
group leader
from Helsinki, Finland, Scandinavia (Europe)
mother of two daughters
(Sad that I have to have a carrieer as urological nurse rather than LC
since we do not have any LCs here.)