From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 1995 23:11:37 EDT
Hi, lactnetters.

I got a call this afternoon from one determined mom-to-be. She is scheduled for
a C-section in two weeks (though she may not last that long as she is 3 cm
dilated already), and knows her daughter has spina bifida. Apparently it is low
on her spine, but they will not know the exact extent of the problem until after
the delivery. This is baby # 3 for mom and she has 2 step sons as well. (I don't
know how old any of them are, but I gathered not real young.) She will be a
"primilacta" (did you see that proposed term in the latest JHL?) and is most
determined to breastfeed this baby.

She is beginning to get flack from at least one nurse who has told her that
since the baby will have to be fed on her stomach, breastfeeding would be
difficult if not impossible. (Am I missing something here???) Mom anticipates
baby will be hospitalized for at least 3 weeks at LeBonner (sp?) in Memphis, and
is determined to breastfeed and plans on pumping to deal with the feedings she
will miss. I asked her if she had gotten a pump or needed info on one. She had
gotten a G----- from the store and I suggested that she really needs something
that will work better for long term pumping. (Gave her the name of a Leader in
that area who rents pumps).

She is also willing to try finger-feeding, as is her supportive hubby.

Do any of y'all know about reference material on breastfeeding a spina bifida
baby? I read her a little from BF and Human Lactation, and was wondering if
there might be some quotable journal articles that she could show unsupportive
medical personnel. Info that might offer concrete suggestions on positioning the
baby would be very helpful as well. Seems to me that nursing in a reclined
position might work, though I have NO experience working with these babies.

It was a pleasure talking to this mom. She seems to be coping with the news (and
has known since 14 weeks into the pregnancy), though admits that once baby is
here, it will be a new ball game. I reminded her that coping with a new baby is
a challenge in and of itself, and I also pointed out that by breastfeeding her
baby (and/or pumping) that she is doing one thing that NOBODY else can do for
that baby, and will be providing some sense of normalcy for that baby in the
midst of a situation that is anything but normal. I gave her contact numbers for
Leaders in the Memphis area. If there are any Memphis folks on Lactnet, if you
know of specific folks who might be a good resource for this mom, please email
me privately.

Thanks in advance.

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC

PS. I asked the other day about info on milk that comes out of one breast
smelling sour (4 week old baby) and haven't gotten any replies. Any suggestions
on that one?