From:
Virginia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:21:56 +1000
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 Susan Johnson wrote:

....  Is she really using this stuff, and just what does it take to stay on the safe side of "legal?" ....

Good point, Susan.  "Truth in advertising" can be an interesting issue. For a start, who writes the scripts?  It goes beyond that, though. When I was laid up after an accident late last year, one of the carers who came to my home told me she was the "(brand name)" baby in advertising in her country in the late-1950s.  She was actually fed on a different brand - but that didn't stop the advertisers, as her Mum was an opinion leader in her community and the company was keen to feature her baby.  As many of you know, the Dionne Quintuplets were fed in the early months on donated breastmilk, first from neighbours and then shipped in from a human milk bank - but ended up being the faces for ads for a company.  I've heard (but have been unable to verify) that ads for cat food sometimes have the feline stars too pernicky to eat the advertised product, and they have to be tempted to eat by substituting their favoured food.  It is good to be skeptical about any advertising.
   Televison and website ads, such as the Brooke ad, are useful for a class exercise on the WHO Code - spot the breeches.  For more about Code violations in a US monitoring project, I can recommend Marsha Walker's Selling Out Mothers & Babies.  It's very thorough and it's excellent.
     Virginia
      in sunny Brisbane