From:
Sue Lunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:11:24 -0500
Hello, this is my first post to LactNet so please be gentle with me! I have
searched in the archives, and have found some information but cannot quite
find what I am looking for.  I am a voluntary breastfeeding counsellor and
am posting this message on behalf of, and with the permission of, a
breastfeeding mum in the UK, who is also a trainee lay breastfeeding
counsellor.

K has a daughter conceived by IVF who will be two in January, and who is
still breastfeeding.  She is not doing badly with solids, but still takes
four or five breastfeeds during the day and two or three at night.  K was
amenhorreic for fourteen months, but now has a regular 28-day normal
menstrual cycle.  K wishes to try for another baby soon, hopefully in the
New Year.  She has twelve frozen embryos in her freezer, and is hoping that
two can be implanted, but her obstetrician has told her that she must wean
her daughter before the procedure can be carried out.  She has been given
two reasons for this:  firstly, that the oxytocin released during let-down
could cause potentially harmful contractions in the critical implantation
stage, and secondly, that continuing to breastfeed will reduce the length
of the luteal phase of her cycle, thus reducing the chances of the embryos
implanting successfully.

I do not know how accurate the second reason is, although I am quite
familiar with the first argument for weaning.  K is aware that she may
never have another baby if she doesn't try implantation of these frozen
embryos, but she is realistic enough to know that implantation may never be
successful, in which case she feels she doesn't want to cheat her daughter
of the breastfeeding relationship that means so much to both of them.  She
would be willing to delay an attempt at implantation if weaning really is
necessary, but can anyone shed any light on this please?  Are these valid
reasons for weaning in this situation?  K does not want to use drug therapy
to support/conceive another pregnancy.

Sincerely,

Sue Lunn
ABM BFC, UK