From:
Barneveld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:56:26 +1200
I haven't nursed beyond 2 years 8 months (although it was close to 9 virtually consecutively)  but I have had friends who have nursed (usually their youngest) until 7 plus and I know of some mothers who have expressed breastmilk for highly allergic children in their early teens recovering from an illness. My nine year old son has expressed interest in breastmilk now his little brother is on the scene and tasted some. When Jonathan was a couple of weeks old he did murmer one day that he wanted some the way Jonathan was getting it. I suggested that it was quite hard work and he might have forgotten how to get anything out at which he laughed and said he was joking! His 11 year old sister is grossed out at the thought of even tasting it! Which I think demonstrates a couple of things - as anyone who ahs ever tried to get a toddler back to the breast after a nursing strike knows its hard to "make" anyone nurse no matter how emotionally commited to breastfeeding the mother is. i can imagine if he hadn't weaned himself at 2/8 my youngest could still possibly nurse when cuddled lying down (he nestles that way especially when he's feeling fragile) One of the comments we make in LLL about toddler nursing is "s/he may look like a big child to you - but when they snuggle down to nurse they're still my baby". Until recently my nine year old was my baby who still likes me to lie down beside him for a cuddle before he goes to sleep. My eldest son didn't stop sucking his fingers to go to sleep until he was at least thirteen (in fact he still might its just at 17 he closes the door to his room!) So comfort sucking to sleep is not unusual even in much older children)  As for talking to the mother of the much older nursing child my experience is that usually the nursing can be quite erratic (they can go days without it and can certainly be happily seperated from the mother so she can be away several nights) the frustration seems to be less about "getting my body back" and more about wanting to move onto  the next stage. I guess a similar feeling I had about my eldest's commited finger sucking (quite apart from the possible orthodontists bills!) I loved that story about getting a last mouthful of mother's milk before setting out on the next stage of life. It must be quite meaningful for the mother too - to be able to hold your newly emerging man child as a baby one last time. Sonja