From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:16:14 +0000
Hi Barb

Thanks for sending in the abstract of the Am J Obstet Gynecol article
on progestin-only hormonal contraceptive methods vs non-hormonal
methods, and their effect on breastfeeding.

My experience is that progestin-only contraceptive methods do have a
real, negative impact on milk production for some mothers.  So a
couple of comments:

1)  I can't see from the abstract whether Depo or pills were used as
the progestin-only methods of contraception.
2)  There was a high drop-out rate of exclusive breastfeeding in both
groups.  (Supplementation or perception of insufficient milk
production did not differ between groups.  By week 6, 23.5% of women
discontinued breast-feeding, and 64.5% of those breast-feeding were
supplementing)  This means that a full half of all mothers from both
groups were supplementing even by 6 weeks ???
3)  The conclusion is based on women's perception of adequate milk
production, which IME is notoriously inaccurate.  I'd want to know
whether the supplementation was due to perceived or real insufficient
milk production.  I'd want to check out which mothers of which group
were using what contraceptive method, and I'd like to closely
scrutinize the weight charts of the supplemented babies to see if
supplementation was really justified....

It looks like there are too many unknowns in this abstract to reach
an accurate conclusion about whether Depo depresses milk production.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England