From:
Linda Inglis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:13:27 EST
I got an interesting call at the end of last week.  A national formula company
called me to ask me a few questions.  I work for a WIC Program as the
Breastfeeding Coordinator.  We are currently working on a new contract for
formula with some other states and I assumed that they had the wrong name.
When I laughed and said that I was the Lactation Consultant and he must not
really want to talk to me he assured me that I was exactly who he wanted to
talk to.  He proceeded to ask me some questions about what kinds of pumps we
buy  and who we provide pumps for in our WIC Program.  I firmly told him that
I would  not even consider purchasing pumps from a formula company.  When he
asked why I told him that we are not using ANY breastfeeding information from
any source that is funded by a formula company.  We have absolutely no
nutrition or infant feeding information from any formula company available in
our WIC clinics. Even feeding information that WIC formula feeding mothers get
is printed by us with our logo on it, not a formula companies.  We also have
breastfeeding slogans on all our outreach information-none of this kind of
product is provided or produced by formula or infant food organizations.  He
seemed a bit confused by this attitude.  Guess he hasn't talked to enough
Breastfeeding Coordinators yet.  Hope that he hits dead-ends in all his calls.
 I certainly do not want WIC clients using Formula company pumps!  Have any
others out there gotten this call?