From:
barbara montague <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:11:16 -0300
I have searched the Lactnet archives, but am looking for more insight into
this topic of Breastfeeding and Menopause.
I  have permision to post this request:

A 41 year old mother and former LLL Leader of 4 beautiful, healthy children
breastfed anywhere from 6 weeks (first child ) to 4 years (third
child)---still nursing a 2.5 year old, and feels she still has a good supply
of milk has not had any menses since Dec.8, 1997. Her mother at age 41 years
started menopause; her 44 year old sister presently is starting menopause.
This mother is presently experiencing hot flashes,vaginal dryness ( for
several years), weight gain, skin blemishes, problems with sleep, and
tiredness. She is very concerned about what is happening to her body.
 [ She is not pregnant  ; )  ]

Her questions are :
1. Can I be going through Menopause while I breastfeed ?
2. Is there anything that I can do to relieve these symptoms  ?
3. Do I need hormone replacement therapy if it is Menopause ? Anything else?
?
4. I realize the importance of Calicium in my diet over the years, but is
there anything else I should be doing ?

I referred her to her physician to seek out the possibility of blood tests
to confirm her Menopause, and have also suggested to her that investigating
her thyroid functioning might give her more clues as the cause of her
symptoms. I think its probably hormonal---related to hypothyroidism ???
There is info out there about herbal treatments for Menopause---if that's
what it is....does anybody have the names of  "safe" ones to recommend/
resources to share.

Thanks in advance for your time and info.

Because there are many women out there who have delayed their childbearing
experiences due to work, etc. commitments or women who are having "larger
spread-out over the years" families, I think we are going to see alot of
questions like these.

Sincerely,
Barbara Montague RN  IBCLC
Saint John, NB
[ Where it is just beginning to look and feel like spring as the pile of
snow melts...]