From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 08:16:35 -0500
Hi all,

Frustration story number 357:  Mom called yesterday, has horrible case of
shingles (you can hear it in her voice...she's so miserable and in pain.  My
heart just aches for her).  She had just moved to a town about 90 miles from
here, and didn't have a doc yet, so went to the ER.  They prescribed Valtrex,
brand new drug which has no history to it, so obviously told her don't bf.
 It isn't in Hale or Briggs, and my Bob says he's seen the ads, but doesn't
know anything about it.  Since Acyclovir (Zovirax) is compatible with bf (a
la the AAP), I suggested she call back the ER and ask to ahve the
prescription changed.  She did and the docs absolutely refused, and then read
her the PDR which, of course, told her she couldn't bf with Zovirax either.
 By the time we talked again last night around 10:30, she was nearly in
tears.  I suggested quickly finding a family practice doc in her area,
explain her predicament, that the drug isn't working and she's getting worse
and that not being able to bf her baby is increasing her stress level which
is aggravating the shingles.....  This time gave mom chapter & verse in
Pediatrics to quote to the doctor and told her to give him my phone number as
well.  I'm sure that's going to help tremendously....given my track record
with doctors lately.  (Read last sentence with GREAT deal of sarcasm).

Why, oh why, oh why do people, especially health professionals (present
company excepted, of course) give bf such short shrift?  It is SO
frustrating!!

PS -- If anyone has any info on Valtrex, please let me know.

Jan Barger