From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:37:42 -0600
>As a pump rental station and a LLL, I have worked with a couple of adoptive
>mothers.  One had a terrible time in the hospital.  She wanted to breastfeed
>right away, but because she had not legal rights to the baby, she was not
>allowed to, even though there was a signed letter from the birth mother in
>the charts.

I think the hospital staff erred in assuming one has to have legal rights
to a baby in order to breastfeed it.  I believe a biological mother can
allow anyone she wants to, to breastfeed her baby, whether or not she's
giving it up for adoption.

Arly in Northern Utah's mountains   <[log in to unmask]>
MS Nutrition, CLE, IBCLC