From:
Julie Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:23:08 -0400
Being Orthodox and having nursed through 5 Yom Kippur's, I can tell you that
the business of fasting on Yom Kippur is taken very seriously, and most
nursing and pregnant women I know fast, unless they're on bedrest already
for problems with the pregnancy.   This fast is dictated by the Torah, the
ONLY one of many fasts throughout the year.  There are several other "minor"
fasts (from sun-up to sundown as opposed to 25 hours), during which it is
generally held that one does not have to fast if pregnant or nursing if one
feels physically weak while doing so.  The only other 25 hour fast is on
Tisha B'Av (usually in July or August), and because that one is rabbinically
derived (i.e. not directly from the Torah), it has its own leniencies for
pregnant and nursing women.

To reiterate, Yom Kippur is serious business and, according to the Torah,
all Jews are required to fast absent a serious medical condition like
diabetes that requires eating.

The rules are not "different" for Reform Jews, and in my experience, having
grown up Reform, the great majority of Jews, pregnant, not pregnant,
nursing, take the Yom Kippur fasting requirement VERY seriously and DO fast
on Yom Kippur, absent a serious medical condition.

Fasting on Yom Kippur while nursing is a physical challenge, but only to
me -- neither of my babies ever noticed a difference in my milk supply such
that she was nursing more frequently or more fussy than usual.  It is
recommended to tank up on water before the fast and it is indeed a mitzvah
(good deed) to eat throughout the day before Yom Kippur.  Of course, if a
pregnant woman (who is not full-term) becomes dehydrated and starts having
contractions during the fast, she is required to drink to save the life of
her baby.

It is permissible for a nursing mother to eat on Yom Kippur, only if she has
given birth within the 3 days prior to the holiday. In fact, it is FORBIDDEN
for her to fast during that time.  There are some leniencies that extend to
7 days after birth (e.g., can drink small amounts of water if feel weak).  I
know this rule having given birth to baby #2 on the night before Yom Kippur
(9/19/99).  I was 2 and a half weeks past my due date and am now convinced
that I willed myself to give birth at that time so I would not have to fast.
It is quite an experience to have 20 people from your synagogue walk into
your hospital room on Yom Kippur to say hi while you're shoving a fork full
of chicken into your mouth!

Julie Rosen, LLLL in Teaneck, NJ