From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 07:20:11 -0500
Oh no!  Not again.  Breastfeeding causing increased size of
neurofibromas.  Doctor, provide the proof before advising the mother to
stop breastfeeding!!  Don't you know the risks of formula feeding?  The
loss that so many mothers experience when the "must" stop breastfeeding?
The loss for the child?  There are no studies around linking increased
size of fibromas with nursing.  Because how many mothers could you get
for such a study??  Eh? (That's Canadian for huh?).  So you provide the
proof.  At least the theoretical reasons, for crying out loud.

There is one mother now I am following who has neurofibromatosis.
Nothing happened to her tumours either during pregnancy or
breastfeeding.  Get a grip on yourself, doc.

I quote from one of the myths in my handouts (usually answer starts with
"not true":

15. Breastfeeding is blamed for everything.
True. Family, health professionals, neighbours, friends and taxi drivers
will blame breastfeeding if the mother is tired, nervous, weepy, sick
has pain in her knees, has difficulty sleeping, is always sleepy, feels
dizzy, is anemic, has relapse of her arthritis (migraines, or any
chronic problem) complains of hair loss, change of vision, ringing in
the ears or itchy skin.  Breastfeeding will be blamed as the cause of
marriage problems and the other children acting up.  Breastfeeding is to
blame when the mortgage rates go up and the economy is faltering.  And
whenever there is something that does not fit the "picture book" life,
the mother will be advised by everyone that it will be better if she
stops breastfeeding.

AAARGGGH!!!!

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC