From:
Star Siegfried <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:41:20 -0700
Joanna,

I'm am very interested in this idea that babies become anorexic and
adjust intake down. Could you please point me in the direction of
more info on this. I have seen young babies that are " happy to
starve" but I've always wonder how this works with older babies.
Thank you,
Star Siegfried RN,BA, IBCLC

  Joanne says:
Sadly there are some little ones out there who prefer to suck on a
rather
empty brst than eat.  This is unusual but definitely happens.  They
become
anorexic, adjusting intake down to whatever is avail.  Often do a lot of
sucking (fingers, thumbs, blankies, etc.) as well.  They are usually
described as content, mellow, sleeping well, meeting all milestones.
When
you meet them they don't look right - often pale, too placid, and taking
quick nips of brst with little swallowing and no complaint.  Head may
look
big for body.