From:
Karyn-grace Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2007 14:01:07 -0400
Ah,ha!  I've got it!!

Take the photo of the nursing mom from the waist up - as shown in this
article.  It's a beautiful photo, it's looks completely normal and natural and I
really like it.  I'm smiling as I look at it.

But, a couple of those Nova Scotia poster photos gave me the opposite
reation, and comparing the two different types of photos, I now know why.

It's because in the Sun photo, the woman's nakedness is broad, and her
breast is only one aspect of her exposed skin.  Breastfeeding seems to be just
an extention of the moment.

But, in the Nova Scotia Posters photos, the women are clothed and only their
BREAST is exposed, drawing the eye directly to the breasts and the
breastfeeding.  Given that the breasts are lifted up and over the mother's
clothing, it leaves one with the impression that we are peeking at something
that WE shouldn't be peeking at.

When I look at the N.S. Posters, I kinda want to go "oh...sorry!  Didn't mean
to intrude."  When I look at the Sun photo, I kinda want to go "Awwww...how
sweet.  Do ya need a cup a tea?"

Does this make sense to any one?

Blessings.

Karyn-grace Clarke, IBCLC, LLLL
Gulf Islands, BC, Canada
www.breastfeedingwithkg.com

(P.S. I really AM a proponent of nurse anytime anywhere and I hate the
phrase 'discreet breastfeeding'...but...stilll...)