Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:17:10 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Thank you for all of the responses!  It was wonderful to see all the responses and integrate your input with my own observations and knowledge about this situation.  

I do not have a scale accurate enough in my setting to do pre & post feed weights, although I think that would be a great idea.  

We initially went to block feeding because baby was not gaining even though she was having copious bowel movements. This is when I learned that oversupply does not always equal wt gain! The block feeding seemed to help the wt gain.  Baby had a TT clip by ENT prior to our first visit. 4m wt was slightly below 2% on WHO growth chart.  MD is concerned (but not overly) about overall growth.

I forgot to say that I serve a low income rural TN population.  Coconut oil, EVO, avocados are just not culturally accepted or affordable/accessible for this group of women.  Most of them have never even eaten an avocado - probably a more culturally acceptable high-fat food would be butter :-)

I will suggest to the mom to schedule an evaluation with an RD - because this situation is part of a larger picture and not just about milk supply.  Thank you all for reminding me of that.  Mom asked me how to increase fat in her milk and I knew it wasn't such a simple request.   While increase in calories may be part of the solution, I need to keep in sight the long term goal of healthy eating/growing.

Thank you for your input! 
Lisa Paul

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2