Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 21:08:15 EDT
Unfortunately we have had several infants get the wrong mother's milk,
despite color-coding the milk.  For legal reasons the nursing administration
decided to treat BM as  a med and have two nurses confirm.  I fought this,
but it is better than not using the milk.  With 60 beds and 90% getting EBM,
and many similar Hispanic names, we had a large problem.  It happens much
less now.  I also asked that they record the lot numbers of all the formula
used - and was treated as a kook!  They record the lot numbers coming into
the hospital and feel that is enough.  I disagree, but I'm just a doc.
Nancy Wight MD< IBCLC