From:
Mrs BN Carney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:39:20 +0930
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I moved down to Southern Florida within the past two years and am not
> hospital-based, so I may be seeing a concentration of the worst outcomes.  My
> question is if you are seeing this all over the US or is this a "fashion
> statement" down here?

I am on a pregnancy email list for babies due in September and it seems to be a
general expectation of the women that their babies will be born early!  Many are
being told, and have been for several weeks now, that the doctors are monitoring
the babies because they appear to be 'big' and may need to come early.  despite
some older, more experienced mums telling them how very wrong this can be and
how it is impossible to accurately judge size they are still determined to
follwo their doctor.  Lots of the women are now talking about their OB
'stripping their membranes' to induce labour and this is well before the 38 week
stage!  Not many at all are even expecting to reach 39-40 weeks and it is very
frustrating.  I am an Australian on the list and there is a Brit there too and
we are amazed by this attitude because this push for early deliveries by doctors
doesn't seem to be so prevalent in our countries.  That the women have had
enough by the last month I can certainly understand but that the doctors seem to
be universally pushing early inductions and c-sections is not understandable at
all.  It was very different 5 years ago when I joined my first pregnancy list.

Gitte