From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 14:27:50 -0701
In a 1987 article the statement was made that the electrolytic iron powder
used in iron-fortified baby cereals was so poorly absorbed - at a rate less
than 0.1% - that it should not be relied upon as a source of iron for
babies.  I have assumed this to be good information and have quoted it
often.  Now that we have another expert on the line, is this a valid piece
of information?  If it is, and iron supplementation is required, do you have
alternative suggestion for supplementation?  The full reference is:

Fomon, S.  Bioavailability of supplemental iron in commercially prepared dry
infant cereals.  J Pediatr 1987; 110(4): 660-61.

I look forward to your reply with interest.  Thank you for taking the time
from your busy schedule to inform the rest of us of the information you have
found.  Regardless of the outcome, debate among such qualified people serves
us all well.

Linda Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix, Arizona USA