From:
Debra Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 07:33:47 -0500
I very much agree! My daughter is the mother of exclusively breastfed
Madalynn who is 9 1/2 months, and she is a great ambassador. Like your
daughter, she's had no formal training, but she's hung around with me and
other lactafanatics enough to know that breastfeeding needs our promotion.
She is the only nusing mom in our county's HANDS program. They teach her
about infant development, safety, etc, and she teaches them about nursing.
She even educates in the grocery store! When she gets the register printed
coupons for formula, she tears them off and gives them to anyone in line
that will take them or back to the clerk! "If only" OB docs and Peds would
be more proactive. On occassion, I've seen a pediatrician tell an "about to
be mom of a preemie" in labor or on the C/section table that "we need you to
breastfeed - your baby will need your milk." They never refuse and a few
have gone on to nurse long term.  They needed only the knowledge that they
could provide the best for their babies.
Deb Ray, RNC IBCLC