From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2014 19:54:16 -0600
Thoughts on Women's Liberation (no date but it is typed!) by Judy Good, Ohio Insert, LLLI News

I've been reading and hearing a lot about Women's Liberation and I think I would like to be liberated too!
I want to be free to have my babies with dignity and joy and with my husband's help.
I want to be free to nurse my baby on the delivery table without an argument.
I want to be liberated from autocratic and archaic hospital rules.
I want to be liberated from doctors who know nothing about breastfeeding.
I want to be free to, of all things, feed my baby when he is hungry.
I want to be free from a society that is hung up on sex and thinks breasts have only one function.
I want to be free to start my baby on solids when he is ready, and I want to be free to let him wean himself when he wants to without neighbors raising their eyebrows and saying "my goodness! Is that baby still nursing?"
Yes, I want to be liberated! I want to be free! I want to be free to be a woman!

I thought we were making some progress until I ready this (probable 1970's) list!

And then there is the article "Can Newborns Really See?" Sue Luddington-Hoe, 1983, AJN - yes, they can :-)

Now I'm going thru old clippings from 70's. What a hoot "There are numerous advantages to breast-feeding in early infancy, but it is doubted that any adventage persists in nursing beyond 9 months." [that's when it turns to water, LOL]
The Baltimore Sun states on April 16, 1972 "The very sensitivity of the question of whether a family newspaper should discuss breast-feeding is an important aspect of an irrational taboo which has done untold harm to humanity." Goes on to discuss a Science Magazine article that attacks this taboo.

I sadly am tossing the ones with no source or date. Like "breast-feeding is found to be more convenient and economical than bottle-feeding and there is a strong suspicion that breast-feeding is psychologically beneficial to the child." This is from an item called Nursing-Facts and Myths in the Complete Breast Book. This may be a book by a Dr Storch. Of course I'm saving all the Princess Grace quotes from the LLLI convention in 1971!

Will pass on more fun stuff as I find it.  6 drawers to go :-)  Pat in SNJ