From:
Pam Wiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:09:11 -0500
Regina,

Regina wrote about depo and social engineering:

"To which I reply: YES.  Yes this is social engineering, but not on
the doctor's part solely, and yes they assume that women will not wait,
cannot wait, won't wait. More to the point, they (doctors, public
health, etc) don't want to take the chance.  These women are treated as
objects, not as people. And sadly, this is systemic.  The attitude you
have both described is what we see: poor people should not have "too
many" kids, "too many" being defined by someone other than the mother
in question.  And "informed consent/choice" is only paid lip service.
You
only have "choice" if you meet two preconditions: a) you have money,
and (b) if your choices are the ones those in power want you to make.
Otherwise, forget choice; it's an illusion, for you."

Years ago when I worked as a WIC  LC at a charity hospital in Florida
(long since closed), the first question doctors asked when admitting
maternity patients was  if they could perform TUBAL LIGATION (which is
PERMANENT!!)  while they were there. It gave me the creeps.  It is
definitely social engineering and WRONG!

Pam Wiggins, IBCLC

www.breastfeedingbooks.com
www.breastfeedingdvds.com