From:
Beth M McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:30:59 -0600
I just took the exam in 1997 and a few improvements in the slide portion
have taken place since some of the recent post-ers had completed the
test.  One big improvement is that the pictures are now in a booklet
format as part of the exam, so there is no 'timed' portion on each slide.
 This allows the student to go back and review pictures they are unsure
about several times during that portion of the exam. I was fortunate that
our state WIC office had some materials that they shared with me that
included about 20 photos.   They helped reassure me that I would probably
do ok on this portion of the exam as they were pretty obvious in their
depiction of the problem.

On the issue of the Durable medical equipment, when our hospital was
looking into a pump rental station, the information we received from the
Idaho Department of Health and Welfare states that: "DURABLE MEDICAL
EQUIPMENT (DME)  is equipment other that prosthetics or orthotics which
can withstand repeated use by one or more individual, is primarily and
customarily used to serve a medical purpose, is generally not useful to a
person in the absence of an illness or injury, is appropriate for use in
the home, and is reasonable and necessary for the treatment of an illness
or injury for a MA recipient." (11-1-86)

We concluded that for the average mom, renting a pump for return to work,
temporary situations, preterm delivery, etc. that a physician order was
not necessary for them to obtain/rent a pump, and would be *useful to the
mom in the absence of an illness or injury*, thus the pump did not fall
under the DME category.

Beth McHugh BSN, IBCLC

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]