From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 23:49:14 -0400
Robin: For a general dissertation on the use of antidepressants during
lactation, please see my earlier posting on Prozac. As for effexor, it is
so new that it's not even in Briggs, so I expect there is not much known
about its effects in breastfeeding. Unless the mother has not responded
to older antidepressants, why go with a relatively untried medication? At
least there are some data on the others (again, see my previous
posting).  As far as Xanax (alprazolam) is concerned, Briggs states that
no specific data are available but that one baby whose mother took it for
9 months had withdrawal symptoms. Xanax, as other benzodiazepines, has
addiction potential, and is probably best avoided, although "prn" use may
not be so bad (how often is "prn" for this lady?). The AAP has also
placed benzodiazepines in the "use with caution as long-term effects
unknown" category. Hope this helps.  Alicia. [log in to unmask]