From:
Debbie Dowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:33:03 -0400
I've searched the archives but would also like input from the group,
please.

I received a call from a mother who is breastfeeding her 6 month old
baby.  The baby developed eczema at approx 1 month.  Over the past few
months, the baby  has been treated with OTC medications and precription
meds (steroids) with minimal improvement.

Mother has been "off dairy" for 3-4 weeks now.  I'm not sure how
strictly she has been following the "no dairy" diet.  She was not aware
of some dairy hidden in some processed foods.

There is also a family history of this sort of thing.  Dad had eczema as
a baby and grandmother said it cleared up when she discontinued
breastfeeding and switched to soy formula.  I suspect grandmother had
not tried elimination diets.  Mom is getting pressure to try soy
formula.

Baby is also eating some vegetables & fruit, and rice cereal.  Mother
noticed the eczema worsens if baby has bananas (mother also gets a rash
with bananas) or if mother consumes a large amount of sugar in her diet.

I suggested the following:
    -carefully eliminating dairy & eggs (to start with) from mom's diet
    -keeping a log of mom's intake
    -continue to breastfeed (her Pedi supports this too)
    -we also discussed limiting exposure to other possible allergens;
perfumes & dyes, laundry additives, the family dog

Other than the eczema, this baby is happy and growing.  Mom really would
like to breastfeed for a full year.  They also have an appt with a
dermatologist in another week.

Any other suggestions?   Thank you.

Debbie