From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 1995 08:10:00 -0400
Hi Arly,

5 Million in formula per year?  Yikes!  When one considers that a can of 32
oz of formula costs the company about 27 cents to make, thats a lot of
formula!  I think someone figured that at retail prices, each bo. fed baby
consumes about $3 worth of formula tops.  Think about it; one bo of glucose
water, and 6-12 bo. of formula during a typical stay.  If you have 3000
births per year, and even if you paid .50 per bottle of formula (it's less
than that, even in the grocery store, I'm sure), you would only be paying
$18,000/year for formula if you bought it at the Jewel here in Wheaton.  I
think there is more to this scenario than that.  Has your hospital been doing
any building lately?  Architectural plans?  Lots of goodies for the docs?
 Hmmm....

I'm concerned because I don't think that most administrations that say "we
can't afford to pay for the formula" even look realistically at how much it
would cost the hospital if they had to pay for it, even at top retail prices!
 It wouldn't be that much!

Cheaper than hamburger that the moms are fed, that's for sure.....

Jan B.