From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:36:18 +0800
 As a hospital based IBCLC I have been asked to give documentation
>for my statements that abm supplementation can do damage and should be used
>only if medically necessary for BF babies.

Anne, a couple of articles spring to mind. I'm sure others will have more.

Vnuk A, 1993, 'Just One Bottle...',  Breastfeeding Review 2(8): 358
Great 'poster' style article succinct and to the point for *just* the
problem you are facing! Includes further references you may be interested
in.

Gimeno SGA & de Souza JMPm, 1997, 'IDDM and milk consumption. A
case-control study in Sao Paulo, Brazil' Diabetes Care 20: 1256-1260.
I only have an abstract here of this paper, but one little quote from this:
'...introduction to cow's milk products before age eight days is a risk
factor for disease. It is suggested that these environmental factors are a
risk only to subjects with genetic predisposition to diabetes.'

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]