From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:25:12 -0500
Hi Cheryl,
My thought was not that the child's bed-wetting was CAUSED by her uptight
mother, but that the mother persisted in insisting that her daughter was
toilet-trained even though the evidence proved otherwise.
Sorry if this caused any confusion!

Norma Ritter, IBCLC

>Norma, I wouldn't count bed-wetting as a failure in "toilet training".
Bed-wetting runs in families. It is familial. The urethral or bladder
sphincter relaxes during the deep sleep phase in some people. One
percent of the discharges from the army are related to bed-wetting.
Bed-wetting runs in my husbands family. Of my 4 children (who were
breastfed at least 2 years each and not encouraged to use the toilet
until 2 1/2 - 3 years old), one wet the bed until 7 ; one until 8 and
one until 13. This was a physical thing, not an "uptight mother" thing.
Cheryl Muller, RNC. IBCLC