From:
Josefine Wendel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:39:23 -0500
Kathy:

My understanding is different from what you describe below. The CDC has recently (2000) revised the growth charts based on data from several major surveys, including NHANES II and NHANES III, which took place a lot more recently than the 1970's. The 'old' infant growth charts (0-2 years) were (as far as I've been told) based on the FELS data, which was a sample of exclusively formula fed caucasian children. The new charts are based on data from different ethnic groups as well as a mix of breast and formula fed infants. This may still not be ideal for plotting exclusively breastfed children, but I would expect it to be better than what we had previously. Extensive information is available on the CDC website, including the new charts, background info etc.  URL is http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/

Hope this may be of help,

Josefine (José) Wendel, MS, RD
Cambridge, MA 02139
Email: [log in to unmask]