Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:18:59 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/2005 10:27:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

From:    Karen Pogge <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  Teachable moment

Karen- I live in eastern North Carolina and has weathered many hurricanes
while raising my children. I have always had them to prepare their own disaster
kits. This way, I felt like I was giving them some power and control over the
 storm. They could choose which juice boxes, water, canned fruit and meats,
and  snack items, as well as games, books, a change of clothing, battery
powered  lantern and toiletries went into their waterproof pack. We never evacuated
although several things I swore that I would go for the "next" time. We
would set up "camping" under the kitchen table ( a big antique farm table) on
sleeping bags when the storm began, and play games, read stories out loud, and
get massages until they fell asleep. Stacy recently said she always felt so
secure during hurricanes because her parents were always so calm ( right, what
she couldn't see!!).
I prepare for hurricane season by freezing water in milk jugs and filling  up
the empty freezer space, and storing jugs of water in the pantry with extra
food, batteries etc. And when they were babies and toddlers, of course their
food was always warm, clean and ready to eat.
I think it is important for children to learn to be prepared, and what to  do
in a disaster. When Isabel hit, Stacy, her new baby and her husband evacuated
 to a house where the family had done no preparations-no water, no food, no
gas,  no flashlight batteries, etc. and then the day after, we had to drive 3
hours to  deliver a truck load of gas, water, ice and food because these people
did not  prepare. Needless to say, we packed up Stacy and the baby and
brought them to  our house. They ended up being isolated on a nearly destroyed
barrier island but  were able to help their neighbors survive and rebuild. Hunter
nursed on the skiff/ferry, at the distribution site and at the feeding  units
so he was fine.
I was a shelter manager after Hurricane Floyd and can assure you that
children take their cues from the adults. If the adults aren't coping well, the
children don't. If the children see the adults in their lives are making plans
for survival, and taking action, the children will feel secure and safe. At my
shelter each night I had a mandatory meeting where I shared information on
the  water levels, evacuations, services etc and then everyone had to go to
their  pallets and be quiet, with lights out ( except for emergency lights ) at
11am. Then everyone was up at 7am, pallets straightened and breakfast served.
The children had activities throughout the day. A routine is important for
children to feel that life is returning to a normal level or security. Even for
the babies, they need to feel that they are loved and cared for, secure in
loving arms.
Barbara Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
Eastern NC