Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 21:00:02 -0500
I got this question from a client today:

"My baby is eating well and in general is doing great.  One odd thing that
happens that I've noticed is that when he nurses his eye that's on top gets
redness around it and he rubs it like it itches...and usually the bottom eye
looks normal.  I don't put any lotion or even use soap on my breasts so I
don't think it's anything on my skin that's irritating. Do you think that my
histamine from me being so allergic all the time is getting into the milk?  I
guess he's happy otherwise so I tend to think it can't be a serious problem,
but is this common?"

What do you think?

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Upper Midwest USA