From:
Annette Hagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 11:21:37 -0800
I have been asked by a mother of a 3 day old baby what the risk is of
the baby getting whooping cough if her 3 year old sister has a mild form
of the disease.  This mother has two older children both have been
immunised but here in New Zealand we have children who have been
immunised getting a mild, and still distressing, form of the disease.
We immunise new borns at six weeks for whooping cough.  What are the
risks of immunising a new born baby earlier then 6 weeks and would it be
helpful or required in this situation.  Thanks again    Annette Hagan