Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 19:38:17 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Helen and Esther,

Check out the article in the current issue of Medela Messenger by Catherine Watson Genna on Sensory Integration and Breasfeeding.  (a fellow Lactnetter recommended this -- thank, whoever you are).  My best friend had a baby boy, born by vaccuum extraction, who fought the breast for four months before she gave up.  At the beginning he needed a nipple shield to latch on and then, for the four months he nursed, he would literally beat her breast with his fist while he nursed, every time.   Milk supply was not an issue, she leaked like crazy and he gained just great. But she says he was so happy when she finally weaned and thereafter loved to be held facing out with the bottle in his mouth.  

This child was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (on the autistic spectrum) at age 3.  In retrospect, he probably needed the sensory input that the (hard) nipple shield provided to be able to latch on and couldn't stand to be held close because of sensory defensiveness.  The happy ending is that he will be mainstreamed into kindergarten this fall after two years at a therapeutic nursery, but he could have done even better faster, if these issues had been picked up on when he was an infant.

Julie Rosen, LLLL in NJ

Helen wrote:

> Question - I had a Mom who delivered without any medication or other intervention, but her baby would not latch.  Any other reasons why this would occur besides medication and birth trauma?

Esther wrote:

I would add to all the other excellent ideas already given: sensory issues, muscle tone, and as-yet unrecognized structural problems??   Also there may not have been meds or interventions but baby could still have some injury or discomfort to head  or neck if birth was 
difficult.... My son had all of the above, did not latch well despite no birth interventions, took a 3 month struggle to get him feeding well and gaining well... later diagnosed with hypotonic muscle tone in the oral area, dysphagia, cleft in his larynx, hyper and hypo senstivities (i.e. 
sensory integration issues) in the oral area, and a sort of "off" gag reflex...I hope this little one has fewer problems!!!!

Esther Friedman, LLLL, CLC, busy mom

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2