From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 09:08:06 +0800
Hi all
I found this on a web page  - it is part of a brochure about starting
solids. It is produced by the International Food Information Council Foundation
in Cooperation with:
National Association of Pediatric Nurse Associates and Practitioners
(USA)

"Most health professionals advise starting solid foods anywhere between
four and six months of age. At this time, most babies can hold their
heads straight up when sitting and can make chewing motions. They also
start to suck in a new way.

The first solid food should be single-grain (usually rice) baby
cereal, fortified with iron. Mix one or two spoonfuls of cereal with
enough breast milk or formula to make it look like thin gravy. Use a
small spoon with a long handle. The baby should be hungry but not
starving.

At first, the taste of solid food may come as an unpleasant surprise.
Most babies will make a face and push the cereal right out again.
Don't be discouraged. Soon the baby will become more accustomed to
eating. Scoop the cereal from the chin and start over. Placing the
cereal far back on the tongue also may decrease the amount spit out."

Does this sound like baby trying to TELL you something - sounds like
force-feeding to me. I hope nobody scrapes my plate and makes me eat
the bits I've left - especially if they put it down my throat so it
is harder to spit out!!!
 Is this brochure widely available?  I hope not!!

Fiona

Fiona Coombes MBBS IBCLC               [log in to unmask]
Lactation Consultant, Family Physician
Perth Western Australia